courtesy is a lady's armor.

So yesterday, I had to set up a packet consisting of a headshot, resume and cover letter to send to a casting director to get an audition. I used a giant (seriously) padded mailer and my Mum told me to put a piece of cardboard in it and write DO NOT BEND on it so that my materials didn't get wrecked in the mail.

I hesitated before I could write "DO NOT BEND" on my mailer. All I could think was that I would be inconveniencing some postal worker and that it didn't really matter if it got bent in the mail, did it? I didn't want them to think I was some demanding jerk, wanting my mail to be treated differently.

And then I stopped myself and thought "really, j? Really? This is supposed to be what you want to do with your life. This is an audition you really, really want to get. You seriously think people will think you're a jerk for writing 'DO NOT BEND' on something? And even if they do, isn't getting your information to that casting director more important? Why bother sending it if you clearly don't have any pride or confidence in yourself?"

And then I thought to myself, "Self, you are correct." And I took a red marker and wrote on my mailer:

PLEASE DO NOT BEND


Because I am nothing if not polite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

&

tentatively-aspiring singer-actress writes about rehearsals, lessons, auditions, inspiration, trepidation, preparation, contemplation, and lots of other things that end in -ation relating to music, theatre, and just life as a strange little girl.

{ingénue}

A Northern girl with an old soul and a new heart. Equal parts gothic heroine & Disney Princess.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.